The DHS Annual Fund is the primary fundraising arm of Decatur High School’s PTSA. Its goal is to support the exceptional academic, cultural, and social experiences that we have come to expect at Decatur City Schools. The PTSA strives to enhance the experiences of ALL Decatur High School’s students by saying “Yes” to funding requests as often as possible.
Last year, 2015-2016, the DHS PTSA raised $21,000 and invested nearly $25,000 in the DHS learning community, saying YES to the following:
In order of award amount
- Decatur High Bands: $4,000*, Bassoon (*total cost $8000 – remainder being funded by DHS Band Boosters)
- Decatur High Choruses: $3800, Seated Risers for Classes and Rehearsals
- Drama Department: $2615, Licensing Fees for School Musical
- Virtual Book Club: $2500, New Nooks Loaded with Books. The Somewhat Virtual Book Club @ DHS participates in a monthly virtual online book discussion (via Google Hangout) with students in schools from others states and around the world, including Japan.
- Academic Support Committee: $2000, Spirit Throw Program to honor four-year Honor Roll Students
- Decatur High Choruses: $1637, Choral Attire for members of the Chorus
- Academic and Science Bowl Team: $1500, Registration Fees for National High School Championship Tournament
- Culinary Arts Department: $1080, Professional Grade Stand-Up Mixers and Scale
- Response to Intervention (RTI) Support: $1000, Educational Supplies. Response to Intervention (RTI) supports struggling learners by providing interventions at increasing levels of intensity to accelerate their rate of learning. The PTSA’s grant provided essential school supplies that the participants’ families cannot afford.
- Career Tech Instruction (CTI) Support: $750, Field Trips for Students with Disabilities
- College Prep US History Classes: $800, Admission Fees, National Center for Civil and Human Rights
- Response to Intervention (RTI) Support: $800, Healthy Snacks for Before/After School and Saturday Tutoring. Many RTI students come from low-income homes and providing them with fresh, healthy snacks during times of extra academic support helps incentivize their participation and helps them stay focused and energized.
- Biology Department: $699, Computer-Based Interactive Biology Case Studies, Grant will license computer-based case studies that allow students to explore abstract biology-related concepts that cannot be studied directly in high school science labs.
- Culinary Arts Department: $643, Chef Jackets for Competitions
- Ultimate Frisbee Club: $625, Competition Funds
- Faculty Wellness Committee: $600, Start-Up Funds for Wellness
- Ping Pong Club: $500, Two New Ping Pong Tables
- Student Government Association: $200, Blue and Gold Spirit Paint
- SkillsUSA, DHS Chapter: $145, Banners for Competitions. SkillsUSA offers citizenship, leadership, employability, technical and professional skills training to high school and college students preparing for careers in trade, technical and skilled service occupations.
- Arts & Ceramics Club: $140, Start-Up Funds
- Photography Club: $100, Start Up Funds
- Decatur’s Got Talent: $70, Prize Money for Competition
Long term vision:
Our goal over the coming years is to establish an Annual Fund strong enough to fully fund every major need and to reduce the stress/time/distraction of teachers/staff/parents being involved in smaller fundraising efforts that detract from their passion and mission.
How can I donate?
Donors can make a one-time donation or they may opt to make a pledge and donate in smaller, affordable increments over the course of the year.
Gifts are tax deductible and the DHS Annual Fund Giving Levels are:
|Giving Level||One Time||Monthly|
The PTSA will share the list of donors on our website and in the May issue of “Carpe Diem.” You can elect to be an anonymous donor if you choose.