What is the DHS Annual Fund?
Decatur High School’s Annual Fund is the PTSA’s effort to raise funds to enhance our children’s academic, cultural and extracurricular experiences at Decatur High School.
Why an Annual Fund? I already pay taxes.
Decatur has some of the very best schools in the State of Georgia and even in the country. Through their tax dollars, Decatur’s citizens are particularly supportive of the school system — but ALL school districts, and ours is no exception, need supplementary funds to equip our learning community to be the best it can be. Our taxes are simply not enough to meet all of the needs of our students and teachers. With the rapid growth of our school system, there are programs that have flourished and grown exponentially, but the budgetary support for these programs lags behind. The Annual Fund can fill some of the gaps. It can provide support for Cultural Arts, STEM classes and clubs, teacher training and all the “extras”, and even some of the basics that we value in our school.
I already give to the PTSA through membership. Why should I give to the Annual Fund?
When you join the PTSA (dues are $15 for a single membership) you are supporting your local, state and national PTSA’s ability to collectively influence the decisions that affect children in their local school districts, within their states, and across the nation. Your membership support of the PTSA is important, but your collective net PTSA membership dues of about $3,000 cannot support the funding needs of our school.
What happened to an auction or bake sales and car washes?
We’ve heard the feedback through the years… “Can’t I just write a check and NOT sell/attend/buy something for a fundraiser?” This is your lucky day. We won’t send home a gift catalog, or ask you to bid on items you don’t need. And your high schooler will not be asked to go knocking on doors, or give up a Saturday to wash cars. A lot of people welcome the simplicity of just writing a check, and that’s exactly what the Annual Fund enables.
This simple way of fundraising allows us to fund the grant requests and needs of teachers, students, clubs and other school organizations, but relieves these groups of the endless task of small-scale fundraising. An Annual Fund is, simply put, a more time efficient way of raising funds.
Will my donation be recognized?
Yes, the Annual Fund has levels of giving:
|Giving Level||One Time||Monthly|
Donors at each level are recognized throughout the year on our website, via our DHS eNews emails, and at the end of the year in the final issue of the student magazine Carpe Diem.
How much should I give?
The amount you give is up to you, but we ask that you give as generously as you can. Imagine the impact that a donation from every family, no matter the amount, could have! As such, we ask for a meaningful gift based on your personal situation. Remember that employer matching gifts can double the value of your contribution.
What kind of things will my contribution support?
- $2,664 for formal attire to outfit our growing DHS Chorus
- Funding of Top Dog luncheons for students going the extra mile
- Nearly $2,000 to pay for Spirit throws for the 73 DHS seniors who earned Honor Roll all four years at Decatur High
- A $2,820 grant to the Drama program to pay for the licensing fees for the spring musical Pippen
- A $1,000 grant to aid the Decatur Educational Foundation (DEF) initiative to purchase new computers for the computer lab at the Decatur Housing Authority, thereby providing academic support to over 100 DHS students who do not have home computers
- $1,925 in grant funding to support a day-long program, “The Price of Poverty,” for every ninth grader – including both a hands-on poverty simulation exercise and a hunger-fighting, meal-creation assembly line
- $600 given in partnership with the school, DEF, and music program to purchase a tuba for the marching band
- Over $1,750 in funding for the arts – storage bins for the drama program, a fine arts scanner for artists’ portfolios, and funds for acquiring additional music for the chorus program
- $1,880 in grant funding to the DHS Robotics Team for the materials and construction of a large programmable robot for their team competition, and support for registration fees
- $300 in grant funding to the DHS Diving Club for practice fees and diving lessons.
- $250 to support a JROTC 9/11 Memorial Event
This year the PTSA, through the Annual Fund, will be able to:
- Provide $3,000 in funding for the licensing of scripts and scores for the 2015-16 musical-theatre production
- Partner with the school’s administration by providing $3,000 to help more than 40 teachers attend educator training and continuing education at the Ron Clark Academy
- Support Decatur High School’s thriving chorus with $2,000 in funding for additional formal attire
- Invest more than $5,000 in a 3-D printer and related digital manufacturing equipment for use in the science, tech, engineering and math classrooms and clubs
- Continue the highly popular Spirit Throw program for 4-year Honor Roll students – approximately $2,000
- Like last year, new needs come up from staff, students and administration throughout the year
- This year’s goal is to fund both a $6,000 mini-grant program and a $25,000+ Big Ticket grant program
- The 3-D Printer and the Ron Clark Academy are the first two recipients of this Big Ticket program
- We want to say YES to the new and exciting ideas that our learning community members bring to us!
Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes, The PTSA is a 501(c)(3) organization and contributions to the Annual Fund are deductible. You will receive a stewardship letter giving you written support for your tax deductible donation.